These articles were all researched and prepared to remember the 75th anniversary of VE Day. They include accounts of the fate of some of those whose names appear on the war memorial, people who distinguished themselves in their service, others who simply have a tale to tell and more general accounts of interest concerning the parish.
A highly regarded engineering officer who served from 1903 until his retirement in early 1939. He returned to duty on the outbreak of World War II and served until his death in 1941.
The son of Rear Admiral Carlisle, he initially joined the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry before transferring to the RAF as a pilot. Serving in Bomber Command he was awarded the DFC twice and survived the war.
Messack House, St Just in Roseland was bombed in the summer of 1941.
A member of the St. Mawes WI and the Red Cross, Sylvia was killed by a V2 while she was in Kent.
Gloria was born and brought up in Jersey in the Channel Islands. After the fall of France the Germans invaded and occupied the Island from June 1940. Hitler ordered all male residents, not born in Jersey, between the ages of 16 and 70 and their families to be deported and interned in Germany. As Gloria’s father was originally a cockney from the East end of London his family was included.
Trevennel Gun Site
At Trevennel, half way between St Mawes and St Just, down a lane to the right on the highest ground in the Roseland, several hundred army and ATS troops were based who operated 3.7 and 4.7 inch anti-aircraft guns.
Serving in Coastal Command, based in Plymouth, Joseph was killed when his aricraft crashed returning from a patrol early in the war.
Frederick Charles Hamling and the Venture Boats
At the outbreak of World War II, Fred was posted to Newlyn and was charged with protecting the harbour. Whilst serving as a Chief Petty Officer Engineer both of Fred's motor launches, Venture 1 and Venture 2, and his houseboat MV Rover were requisitioned by the military.
William Shakespeare was an officer in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve. He commanded a number of minesweeping vessels in 1942/43. He was killed by gunfire in an encounter with German E-Boats.
Allan MacKenzie was an able seaman in the Merchant Navy. In 1940 he was serving aboard the S.S. Cymbeline, a tanker registered in Liverpool and operating out of Falmouth.
St Just & Philleigh Home Guard
This Home Guard group was formed in 1940. The object was to protect the area and resist a German invasion. The group consisted of 36 local men, those too young or too old to sign up or that had a reserved occupation or medical problem.
Richard Frank Michell was 23 and serving aboard the aircraft carrier HMS Glorious when she was sunk off the north of Norway on 8 June 1940.
Two local men died serving aboard ships of the same type, which dated from the First World War; Edward Dorrington, a St. Mawes man, and Ronald Mitchell, who had familly connections to the village.
During the Second World War this parish was a haven for children evacuated from the many towns and cities which were heavily bombed.
A collection of pieces printed in the Western Morning News during the war concerning the parish. They cover tragedy, heroics and everyday life in wartime.
Lieutenant Ian Henderson commanded Motor Launch 306 alongside his first officer, sub-lieutenant Philip Dark. They operated out of Falmouth initially and were assigned to the raid on St. Nazaire in 1942.
Charles Pears was an official war artist who lived in St. Mawes in later life. He specialised in maritime subjects.
Thomas Henry Desmond Drinkwater was a fighter pilot with the RAF. He was awarded the DFC in 1942. He was killed in action over France in 1944.
Sub-Lieutenant Philip Dark, a resident of St. Mawes, became a prisoner of war following capture when participating in the raid on St. Nazaire on March 28th, 1942. He recorded his wartime experiences in sketches and paintings.
Dwight Shepler was a US war artist who recorded the build up to D-Day in Falmouth and St. Mawes as well as along the coast as far as Devon and Dorset.
During the war the castle was used to provide defences against attacks on the port of Falmouth that came from the sea.